I found this recipe on a fellow bloggers site and also on Food Network. These were hard to resist and I just had to bake them! I only made a couple of changes which I have noted in the ingredients. Hope you give these a try. They are, of course, simple and delicious!
Red Velvet Swirl Brownies
1 stick unsalted butter (I did use salted butter)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 2 teaspoons)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used 1/3 cup)
pinch salt (I used a 1/4 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (nope)
Cream Cheese Layer:
8 ounces cream cheese softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 1 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Use 1 tablespoon butter to grease an 8×8 baking pan and set aside. (I used a glass baking dish)
- Brownie layer; In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Remove the butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix. Fold in the flour until lightly combined. If you use walnuts, stir those into batter.
- Take out 1/4 cup batter and put rest in prepared baking dish.
- Cream Cheese Layer: Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan.
- Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer.
- Using the tip of a knife drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. (That was long enough, really!) Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool complete before cutting. They taste great warm but are even better the next day. Enjoy!