Kyle’s friend Paige came for a visit to our home all the way from Lawrence, Kansas. Before she came to visit she mentioned to Kyle that she liked cheesecake. I asked her what kind of cheesecake she liked and she said she enjoyed strawberry cheesecake. We did just that with a touch of chocolate. You can’t go wrong with cheesecake or chocolate in this house!
Strawberry Cheesecake with Chocolate Crumb Crust
3 – 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened and at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sour cream, at room temperature
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
fresh juice of one whole lemon, strained
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1/2 cup of finely chopped, hulled, ripe strawberries
To make the crust:
In a food processor, mix together 20 oreos, 1/3 sugar, add in the 1/3 melted butter and mix to combine until all the crumbs appear moistened. You can also crush by hand and mix together.
Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of a springform pan, and up the sides of the pan about two inches. (I put aluminum foil around the bottom of the pan so if any butter leaks from the crust it doesn’t get all over the oven).
I pre bake the crust for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Directions (I used my stand up mixer)
1. Mix at medium speed the cream cheese until creamy for about 2-3 minutes
2. Add sugar and mix on medium 2-minutes or until smooth
3. Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed through
4. Put speed on low and add sour cream, vanilla, flour and lemon juice. Mix until blended together. Do not over mix.
5. Take 1 cup of batter and put in small bowl. Add the strawberry jam and blend well. Add the chopped strawberries to the 1 cup of batter and jam. Mix lightly.
6. Pour back into bigger bowl and mix by hand until blended
7. Pour all the batter into springform pan
8. Place on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, shut the door and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 30 minutes.
10. Take out of oven and place on rack to cool.
11. When cooled cover and place in refrigerator. This is best when it is completed chilled in the refrigerator overnight.
12. Before taking out of the springform pan be sure to run a knife around the sides. It will come out much nice that way.
This was a very delicious cheesecake and quite a wonderful choice for the month of June. Strawberries are fabulous this time of year. Another “simple and delicious” treat!
(variation from Jane’s Sweets & Baking blog)