I have always enjoyed the combination of chocolate and peppermint. Peppermint Patties have been a favorite confection of mine for many years. When I bought a candle for Rachel this year from Bath and Body Works they had a recipe attached. (Yes, Bath and Body Works recipe!) She thought this would be a fun recipe to make along with the Christmas cookies we made. It was an awesome choice! Surprisingly, it was a great recipe from a store that sells body lotions and candles. We did make a couple of changes so you will be getting the recipe I made. I tried to find their recipe online but was unable to locate it. Needless to say this is a very “simple and delicious” recipe. I wanted to get this on my blog so you could try it this year. HO, HO, HO!!!
12 oz Dark Chocolate Chips (I used Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips)
1 Tablespoon Butter
12 oz Milk Chocolate Chips
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 cup coarsely crushed Oreos
12 oz White Chocolate Chips
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
1/2 cups crushed red and white mints or candy canes
1. To create bottom layer of bark, melt the dark chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon of butter in microwave, at 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 second interval. (It took about 4 – 30 second intervals to get to a creamy texture.) When smooth and creamy, spread mixture in a greased 13″x9″ cake pan. I used a glass dish. (You could also add 1/2 cup of whole coffee beans. I thought 3 different chocolates was plenty of caffeine for my family! Rachel agreed!!) After you spread in the dish, put in freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Melt milk chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon of butter in microwave at 30 second intervals, stir until smooth and creamy. Add 1 cup of crushed Oreos. Spread mixture over the dark chocolate. Freeze this mixture for 15 minutes.
3. Lastly, melt white chocolate chips and 2 Tablespoons of butter in microwave at 30 second intervals, stir until smooth and creamy. Add the 1 teaspoon of Peppermint extract after the 2nd 30 second interval. (Rachel and I did not experience smooth and creamy with the white chocolate. I always have problems with white chocolate. Watch it carefully. We were able to spread it okay and it worked out fine. Just not as spreadable as the dark/milk chocolate. It had a crumbly texture.)
4. After you spread the white chocolate, sprinkle with the crushed red and white mints. (We pushed the candies in with the spatula.)
5. Refrigerate 3-4 hours. Break into pieces and ENJOY!!
This would be an awesome gift. It is very easy and fun to make. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Merry Christmas!!