I have discovered that making crackers is much more fun than buying a box at the grocery store. I think these would be a fabulous gift with some delicious cheeses (or the crackers alone would work). They take no time at all and are, of course, SIMPLE and DELICIOUS.
(Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart)
3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt (you can use table salt)
pinch of pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
3 Tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (or any hard cheese you choose to use)
5 Tablespoons sour cream
1. Combine flour, salt, pepper and rosemary in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine.
2. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add cheese, pulse until combined.
4. Add 1 Tablespoon of the sour cream at a time, pulsing each time to combine. Process until dough comes together and is well combined.
5. Transfer dough to a work surface. Shape dough into a 2 inch wide log. Wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
6. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Slice chilled log into 1/4 inch thick slices. Transfer slices to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake immediately, rotating sheet once, util crackers are golden brown and firm in center, 25-30 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool.
Check out the Parmesan Crackers and Thyme Olive Crackers too. You will really love them!