When I asked the kids what they would like me to make over the weekend Eric requested a Chick Fil A sandwich. We do not live in an area where there are Chick Fil A restaurants. Honestly, I know I personally would not even go to a Chick Fil A. However, I see no reason not to make a sandwich in my home that everyone could enjoy. I found this recipe here. There is also another version of this recipe here. The second recipe seemed a little too time consuming to me but you may want to try it. I think the pickle juice marinade was a great way to brine the chicken. I may marinade a little longer next time. The recipe I chose, for our family, was very Simple and Delicious.
Chick Fil A Sandwich
1 # boneless, skinless chicken breast (sliced in half and pounded to 1/2 inch)
1/4 cup pickle juice (I used Vlasic Oval Dill Pickles for the juice and used the pickles for the sandwich)
1/4 cup milk (I used half and half)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Peanut or Vegetable Oil
Hamburger rolls (you will need to toast them)
1. Wrap the chicken loosely between plastic wrap and pound gently with the flat side of a meat tenderizer until about ½ inch thick all around.
2. Cut chicken into two pieces as evenly as possible
3. Marinate in the pickle juice for 30 minutes to one hour.
4. Beat the egg with milk in the bowl.
5. Combine the flour, sugar, and spices in another bowl.
6. Dip the chicken pieces each into the egg on both sides, then coat in flour on both sides.
7. Heat oil in dutch oven, should be up to 1/2 inch.
8. Fry 2 minutes on one side. Then flip over and cover with lid and fry for 2 minutes. I used a LeCreuset pan. If you have a heavy pan with a heavy lid that should work. Chick Fil A uses a pressure cooker for their sandwiches. I found that this was the closest I could get to a pressure cooker.
9. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
10. Butter the hamburger roll and toast on grill or frying pan.
11. Place chicken on roll with 2 slices of dill pickles.
12. Chow down. YUM!!