I hated asparagus when I was a kid. Now, I love it. I thought since spring is around the corner (YES IT IS!) I should make an asparagus pizza. I used my bread dough recipe (used my stand up mixer this time) for this one. I thought this pizza had great flavor and was of course “Simple and Delicious’.
12-15 ounce pizza dough
3 oz Pancetta (you could use bacon)
1 1/2 cup Monteray Jack
1 1/2 cup Mozzarella
6-10 Asparagus stalks, cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces (depends on the size. I had thinner stalks and used 10 believe it or not.)
2 green onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
6-8 basil leaves, chopped
Crushed red pepper
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. (As a reminder I preheat my oven with the stone inside for at least an hour.)
2. Heat a non stick pan over medium high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until browned. Remove pancetta and place on paper towel lined plate.
3. Spread cheeses evenly over dough. (you may not use all the cheese, it depends on what you like)
4. Top with asparagus, pancetta, green onions and basil. Season with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper.
5. Bake 15 minutes and chow down!
If you love asparagus, you will really enjoy this pizza. Happy Spring!!