Paige was visiting over spring break. Her requests were chicken enchilada pizza and sopapillas. ( I tried something a little different with the chicken enchilada pizza this time.) The sopapillas were super simple and delicious. It was great having Paige over for the week. She is another addition to this crazy family. Looking forward to her coming back in the summer and staying for a few weeks!
4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 quarts of vegetable oil for frying
Cinnamon and sugar
1. In stand up mixer combine flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Add water and mix until smooth.
2. Cover with damp towel and set for 20 minutes.
3. Roll out on a floured board until 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3″ squares
4. Heat oil in deep fryer or in frying pan over medium heat. I used a heavy bottomed saucepan which worked really well.
5. Fry until golden brown. They will puff up
6. Place on paper towels to drain. As I took them out Paige dipped them in cinnamon and sugar.
Paige enjoys sopapillas by putting honey in the middle of them. We had these for Pizza Saturday and they were gone in seconds. Thanks for the idea Paige!!