I am finding more and more that I really like to come home after work and make a quick dinner. I pulled some chicken out of the freezer yesterday so I knew I had to use that today. I had a couple of tomatoes and shallots that needed to be used up. I made this very quick skillet dinner and served over rice. It was quite spicy (which Kent and I love) and speedy (which works for me too!). So, as I always end my intro; try this “Simple and Delicious” meal!
Spicy Chicken Skillet Dinner
1# boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
2 roma tomatoes, diced (these were going to be used tonight or thrown away tomorrow. You don’t necessarily need tomatoes)
2 shallots, chopped (you can use any kind of onion. I had these and needed to use them up.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 chipotle peppers, chopped (You could use any kind of pepper you want. I always have chipotle peppers in my kitchen! You may only want to use 1 chipotle pepper. I did not remove the seeds. If you do the kick will be less. I like spice, so it works for us.)
1 can of black beans, drained
1 can of corn
1 can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 Tablespoons canola oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper)
1. Place 2 Tablespoons of canola oil in non stick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add shallots and diced tomatoes (If you do not have the tomatoes, just the shallots.), saute until opaque – about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add chicken, cook over medium high until browned, 5-8 minutes.
4. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic and chipotle peppers, stir into mixture until fragrant (30-60 seconds). Add rest of ingredients; black beans, corn and Rotel tomatoes/green chilies.
5. Simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
6. Serve over rice.
I used long grain rice. When I cook rice I use 2 cups of liquid (water, broth, stock) to 1 cup of rice.
Kent and I really enjoyed this simple and delicious meal. I had fun thinking what I had in my kitchen to use vs running to the store to buy ingredients for a recipe I found online. It is too cold to go to the store!! Where is Spring?! Enjoy this Simple and Delicious meal!!