This is my Italian lemon cookie recipe with some tweaks. I am finding I like to change things up to see if I can improve what I have done for so long. I think that my old recipe is delicious and so is this one. I am a huge fan of lemon though. Here is my updated recipe. Oh, and the frosting is super creamy. LOVE IT!!
Lemon Cookies 2014
1/4 cup shortening (4 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup butter (4 Tablespoons)
1 cup sugar
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (you could still use 1 teaspoon lemon extract)
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Cream together shortening and sugar, cream in eggs. Dissolve baking soda in with the sour cream/half and half. Mix all ingredients together. You can chill this dough. I do not chill the dough.
- I use a teaspoon and roll the cookie dough into a 1″ diameter ball. I place on parchment lined cookie sheet. You could just place on a non stick cookie sheet, no need to grease the sheet.
- I place the racks in middle of oven. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until bottom is a light golden brown.
- When cooled frost with lemon frosting or glaze. I used frosting for these cookies. Fun any time of year!
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, grated
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 Tablespoons cream (add 1 Tablespoon at a time. You may not need 3)
Cream together the butter and lemon rind. Mix rest of ingredients with electric mixer. (I did not use my stand up mixer today. I will next time though). This is fast and incredibly creamy and delicious!! Isn’t yellow pretty?! Enjoy!!