A great suggestion I received from my friend, Jill. This took under an hour from start to finish. I love simple and delicious weeknight meals. I doubled the meat filling recipe. I used 16 ounces for the pie filling and froze the rest for tacos for another day of the week.
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
6 – 6 inch flour tortillas
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 small onion, diced (I used red onion)
1 red or green pepper, diced (I used a red pepper)
1/2 large jalapeno pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Brush a 9 inch pie plate with olive oil. Spread a large spoonful of diced tomatoes on the bottom of the pie plate.
3. Arrange four of the tortillas on top of the tomatoes and up the sides of the plate, overlapping as necessary, set aside.
4. In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, red pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic on medium high heat until browned; drain off fat. Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, ground pepper and cinnamon, cook and stir through.
5. Stir in about 1/2 of the remaining diced tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and cook uncovered about 2 more minutes.
6. Spoon over tortillas in place. Cut remaining 2 tortillas into strips. Layer cheese and tortilla strips over beef mixture. Top with remaining diced tomatoes.
7. Bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned.
8. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve. Top with cilantro if you desire.
We loved this taco pie. Lily noticed a bit of a sweet flavor to it. That was the cinnamon. Kent and I thought it was a nice flavor. If I were you I would try it with the cinnamon. You can always take it out next time. Try this simple and delicious recipe and let me know what you think!!