Mondays are a very busy day at work. When I get home I want to make a quick meal. I went to Costco over the weekend and bought a 2 pound bag of asparagus. I decided that asparagus and pasta sounded like a quick and easy meal. If you like heat and flavor, then you will enjoy this meal.
Asparagus and Pasta
1/2 pound pasta (I used shells)
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1 inch slices
4 pieces of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Tablespoon bacon fat
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
3 garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (don’t like heat, use less)
2 teaspoons sriracha sauce (Use your favorite hot sauce. Depending on how hot you like it, will depend on how much you use)
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Bring 4 quarts of water and 1 Tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta and time for 6-8 minutes. Depends on how you like your pasta. I like it al dente.
2. While the water is boiling fry your bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and place on paper towel to drain. Leave the fat in the pan. (I cook bacon slowly so I don’t burn it. Sometimes I bake it. Not today though)
3. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil to frying pan. Let heat until shimmering.
4. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and your hot sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add asparagus and saute for 5-8 minutes. This will heat through and still keep the beautiful green color. Don’t overcook.
6. Mix in Parmesan cheese.
7. Drain your pasta. Add pasta to the skillet and stir into the asparagus mix.
8. Enjoy your bowl of pasta with a touch of heat!!