Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, we are having a pink food day at work tomorrow. I was a little puzzled as to what to make that is pink other than a dessert. That is when I thought of Penne Rosa! On a more serious note, my mom is a breast cancer SURVIVOR. It has been 22 years since that scary day. What saved my mom 22 years ago at age 65 was an annual mammogram. Ladies, be smart and get an annual check up and that MAMMOGRAM. It could save your life. It did so for my mom. So, if you know anyone who has (or had) cancer (and I bet you do) wear pink at least one day this month. Remember them and if they are still with you call them and if you are lucky and they are in your town go give them a great big hug!!
Penne Rosa (Noodles and Company copy cat recipe. By the way, I love Noodles and Company.)
1 pound, penne pasta
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound of boneless chicken breast (If large I slice in half so they are thinner, they will cook faster that way)
1 – 8 oz box of frozen chopped spinach (I used 5 ounce bag fresh spinach.)
1 – 14 1/2 oz can of Italian diced tomatoes, drained (oops, I didn’t drain them!)
1 – 16 oz jar of alfredo sauce (I made my alfredo sauce. I just can’t buy a jar.)
1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
1 (8 ounce) can of sliced mushrooms (I used fresh mushrooms, chopped)
1 onion, chopped
red pepper flake
1. Boil water and prepare pasta according to the boxed instructions
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to saute pan. Fry chicken until done (about 10-15 minutes) I like them a little browned. When they are cooked remove from pan and cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
3. Add onions and mushrooms to the saute pan. Saute until onions are opaque (about 5 minutes) (If you use canned mushrooms, drain the liquid before adding to the saute pan)
4. If you use frozen spinach, thaw the spinach and drain out all excess water. If fresh, as I did, boil water, empty spinach from the bag into the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain in colander, put between 2 towels to wring out water and chop.)
5. In a large saucepan mix the alfredo sauce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, spinach and 1/4-to 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes to taste.
6 Simmer on low for 15-20 minute.
7. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl.
8. Add the chicken to the sauce and stir. Add the pasta and stir. Serve immediately and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Hope my coworkers like it!! Enjoy and Think PINK!!