I have been making sauce and meatballs for a very long time. This recipe is something I have worked very hard to make sure it is delicious every time. I am sure if you try it you will love it. Don’t forget the cheese. That is what makes it work. Have fun with this simple and delicious meal.
Basic Tomato Sauce (that is awesome!)
with meatballs and sausage
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small-medium red onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup shredded parmesan or romano or pecorino romano or whatever hard italian cheese you like
2-3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon salt (cheese is salty so taste, taste, taste!)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Add olive oil to sauce pan on medium heat.
2. Add diced onions. Cook onion on low to medium heat until opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Add cloves of garlic and let cook 30 seconds.
3. Add cans of tomatoes and let cook about 5 minutes until warm.
4. Add rest of ingredients and let simmer 30-60 minutes. If you want you can simmer longer but it is not necessary. Sauce does not have to take a long time. Taste it, if you like it, then it is done. I like it to cook down a bit so I usually go 45-60 minutes for a tomato sauce.
5. When I add meat I cook longer. I love to add meatballs and sausage. (I am from Syracuse NY. When I go back to the ‘cuse to visit, I always bring back to GB some Gianelli sausage. This sausage is only made in Syracuse. It adds an even better flavor to my sauce. Brings back memories of my mom’s sauce.)
1 slice of white bread
1/4 cup milk
1# ground beef
1/2 cup of chopped red onion (you could use white onion too)
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 Tablespoon of dry) Honestly, I forget the parsley often!
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste (remember cheese is salty)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. I always double this recipe. 1# of meatballs is not enough for this family that is for sure! In a bowl soak the bread in the milk. This is called a panade and is a very important step. This makes the meatballs moist and delish!
2. In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef, bread and milk, onions, parsley, egg, cheese, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Form the mixture into about 12 meatballs, depending on the size you like
4. Put olive oil in sauté pan. Fry meatballs over medium to high heat until brown and cooked through. If making sauce, throw them in with your sauce!