Martin and Rachel love this recipe. Actually, it has come down to we all love this meal. Rachel requested this delicious wrap for Christmas Eve this year. Sometimes we use pita bread from the store, pita bread I make or flour tortillas. Either way this is a very simple and delicious meal. I always double this recipe and it gets eaten that night. Enjoy!!
Chicken Doner Kebab!
1 # chicken thighs (lamb, pork, beef would work too. It is up to you!)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon paprika
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Doner Kebab/Gyro
1. In a large bowl or food safe bag, add the above ingredients with 1 pound chicken thighs. (I cut into strips) Marinate at least 4 hours or overnight if possible. (Don’t forget to make the palichinko spread or tzatziki. I usually make tzatziki. This is best if sets overnight too.)
2. After you allow to marinate, heat frying pan at high heat. I don’t add oil,the oil from the marinate is enough. Drop the chicken pieces into the pan and leave untouched for 1 minute.
3. Turn the chicken pieces and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes. Fry until browned. (I have grilled the chicken on a skewer also.) The chicken tastes great grilled and fried. So pick your way and go from there!
4. Chicken is ready for the gyro!
5. When you wrap your doner kebab/gyro you will use pita bread or flour tortilla, meat, palichinko spread or tzatziki,diced tomato, shredded cabbage and a few french fries. (Believe it or not the french fries is a nice addition.) That will be your Bulgarian Doner Kebab. It is truly simple and delicious!