Scott and Kathleen came to Green Bay to join us for Thanksgiving dinner. It had been many years since Scott and I spent Thanksgiving together. Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. Spending time with family after spending hours in the kitchen, enjoying conversation and a wonderful meal means more to me than they will ever know. So, having Scott and Kathleen here made it even better. I absolutely loved our visit. Another thing I loved was having Scott as my sous chef on Thanksgiving day. Chopping veggies and chatting is great therapy!!
Prior to Scott and Kathleen getting to our humble abode I baked a Cranberry Orange Bundt cake to celebrate Scott’s birthday. Not sure if anyone other than myself and Kathleen knew why I baked the cake. There was a reason for it other than my just baking a cake. All I can say is it was a very busy couple of days. In the end, we loved this cake whether Scott knew it was for his birthday or not!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Another simple and delicious recipe.
Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (I used fresh)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 Tablespoons of fresh juice from an orange
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 12 cup bundt pan with cooking spray and lightly flour.
2. In large bowl beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. (I used my stand up mixer)
3. Add vanilla and orange peel. Blend well.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time.
5. In medium bowl, mix 3 cups flour, the baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Gently stir in cranberries. Pour and spread batter into pan.
6. Bake 60-75 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. (It took 75 minutes for this cake in my oven.) Let cool for 15 minutes and remove from pan.
7. For the glaze; In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine powdered sugar, orange juice, butter and extract – whisk until smooth. Drizzle over bundt cake. ENJOY!!