These are my dad’s favorite cookies. I used to make these cookies with the almond paste in the can. Well, then I discovered you can make your own almond paste and it is much tastier! And by the way, all of my kids and their significant others love these cookies. Simple and Delicious!!
Almond Paste Cookies
3 cups blanched slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large egg whites
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust rack to the lower middle position.
- Place almonds in food processor; process about 1 minute. Add sugar and process 15 seconds longer. Add egg whites and almond extract; process until paste wads around the blade. (It should have a consistency similar to marzipan or a pasta dough.) This just takes a couple of minutes. Not long at all.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. YOU NEED parchment paper for these cookies.
- Scoop up a Tablespoon per cookie. You can drop the paste onto the cookie sheet or roll them into a ball and place on cookie sheet. I roll them in a ball about an inch in diameter. Just rinse your hands with water as they become sticky.
- I place a maraschino cherry in the middle. You do not have to do that if you don’t want to.
- Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.