Kent wanted a breakfast pizza today. He does not like it when I use the cast iron skillet. He insists the skillet has flavors that seep through because I do not clean the cast iron skillet with soap and water. You DO NOT clean a cast iron skillet with soap and water. You clean it with oil and kosher salt over heat on your stove. So…I decided to try something different with our breakfast pizza to appease my loving husband. This time around I used a 9 inch non stick pie tin. Guess what…it worked fabulously!
Breakfast Pizza – Part 2
2 Tablespoons of half & half or milk (preferably whole, but whatever you have will work)
1 small onion, chopped
5 pieces bacon
1 Tablespoon bacon grease
1 piece of ham (or you could use 3-4 pieces of Canadian bacon)
1 Tablespoon softened butter
Mozzarella & Cheddar cheese, shredded (you could just use one or the other)
8-10 ounces pizza dough
salt and pepper
Directions – Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Whisk eggs, half & half, salt and pepper
2. Cook bacon to just crispy. (Take 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease to grease the pie tin. Leave rest in pan.)
3. Saute onion in bacon grease until translucent (3-4 minutes)
4. Take 1 Tablespoon bacon grease and apply to pie tin with basting brush
5. Roll out pizza dough to a 12 inch circle. Place in pie tin.
6. Put whisked eggs in dough
7. Top with onion, bacon, ham (or Canadian bacon)
8. I brushed softened butter on the crust that was exposed after I put in the above ingredients. You don’t have to do this. I thought it gave the crust a buttery flavor. (So did my husband.)
9. Top off with mozzarella and cheddar
10. Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.
Kent liked this recipe more than the one I do in the cast iron skillet. I thought it tasted delicious too! Another simple and delicious recipe for you to try. Also, you can put whatever you want in your breakfast pizza. This is what we chose for today. Enjoy!