It was midnight. I was checking out Pinterest and saw some slow cooker recipes, which reminded me of beef stew. I remembered I had a 2 1/2 pound chuck roast in my freezer. That thought got me thinking about what I could make for dinner the next evening. I decided to take the chuck roast out of the freezer, get up a little earlier the next morning and make beef stew. It took me 30 minutes to get this ready this morning. I either use my crock pot or dutch oven for this recipe. If you decide to make before going to work the crock pot works. If you have a couple hours on a Sunday then the dutch oven works. Either way this beef stew is simple and delicious!!
2-3 pounds chuck roast, cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
3 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions (2 cups), chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
32 ounces beef broth or stock (If I don’t have beef I use chicken)
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
4 medium potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
4 large carrots, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
(If slow cooking in dutch oven, preheat your oven to 300 degrees)
1. Heat 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil in 12 inch skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chuck roast. Place chuck roast in utensil. Brown meat, 5 minutes each side. Take meat out of pan and place on plate.
2. Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet or dutch oven. Add onions and saute for 5-8 minutes, until opaque.
3. While onions are cooking, cut the chuck roast into 1 1/2 inch bite size pieces.
4. Add garlic to onion and saute 30 seconds. Add 3 Tablespoons flour and mix well together.
5. Add 32 ounces of broth and thyme. Mix together, add meat.
6. If using dutch oven, bring to simmer and then put dutch oven with lid on in 300 degree oven for one hour. After one hour add potatoes and carrots, cover and return to oven. Simmer until meat is tender, about 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove stew from oven.
7. If using crock pot you can add the carrots and potatoes and cook on low 8 hours. Add the peas last 60 minutes of cooking time. I do not add the carrots and potatoes until 6 hours after cooking on low. I then add the veggies and turn up to high for 2 hours. I add the peas the last 30-45 minutes of cooking in the crock pot. (I don’t like my veggies mushy so that is why I do that.)
That is it. So, you can use your dutch oven (which I do often) or your crock pot. Serve with a green salad and biscuits!!