It was Karen’s birthday today. Over the weekend I was debating on what cake to make. St. Patrick’s Day theme was in my head. I was going to bake a Green Velvet Cake but opted out on that one. I decided to stick with my green theme but bake a cheesecake instead. I think I made a great choice. Most everyone at work enjoyed it. Karen had a few pieces to bring home and share with her hubby and sons, John and Jake. Not sure it was enough though! Here is the Simple and Delicious recipe;
Green Tea White Chocolate Cheesecake
(Compliments of Food52. A revised version of their recipe. I always change it up a little bit.)
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crust
1/4 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons melted butter
Mix above ingredients together. Spread on bottom of Springform pan. You could just have the crust on bottom or spread up sides of pan. I usually do it with sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
2 – 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup white chocolate, melted (I added 1/2 teaspoon butter to the chocolate when melting)
2 Tablespoons green tea Matcha powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat over to 325 degrees.
2. Mix the cream cheese, egg, Matcha powder, and lemon juice medium high speed until creamy. I use my stand up mixer.
3. While you are preparing the above, fill a pan with water. Put the white chocolate in a bowl. Set in simmering water and stir until melted. White chocolate will sieze. I made sure the above step was done, then melted the chocolate.
4. With mixer on low, add the chocolate, increase to medium speed and blend together.
5. You should taste the mixture. That is why I increased the Matcha powder and white chocolate. (I probably could have added more Matcha powder. I bought a brand called Green Foods Matcha at Terry Naturally. Next time I may buy it at Teavana. Not sure if it would make a difference but I will find out!)
6. Spoon batter into springform pan. As you can see it is very creamy! Spread over crust.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. (I did 25 minutes)
8. Remove cheesecake and let cool for 5 minutes. While cooling…
9. Mix sour cream and sugar together. Pour mixture over cooled cheesecake. (5 minutes is enough).
10. Put back in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
11. Remove cheesecake from oven and let cool before putting refrigerator. Let chill for 8 hours/overnight
12. Serve with fruit, melted chocolate – white or dark or whatever you desire. ENJOY!!