According to Foodimentary, one of my favorite foodie websites, today is National Empanada Day. I checked a couple of recipes and thought I would give it a try for a quick Wednesday meal. I roasted a chicken last evening. What a great way to use it up, Chicken Empanadas. Here is what I whipped up this evening.
Dough – I used Pillsbury Pie Crust tonight. On the weekend I would make my own pie dough (maybe). 😉
3 cups roasted chicken (I cut into bite size pieces), you could use chicken breasts or thighs
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 Tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped fine (I had pickled ones on hand tonight)
1 1/2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese (or cheddar, monterey jack or whatever you have on hand)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add 2 Tablespoons of oil to skillet, over medium heat. Add diced onions, red pepper, salt and pepper. Saute until onion and red pepper are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Put diced chicken in large bowl and add the jalapeno pepper, cheese, cumin, paprika and chili powder. Mix together. Add sauteed onions and red pepper. Mix together.
4. Now you are ready for your empanadas. On lightly floured parchment paper place your dough. Roll out. I used a bowl that was 4 inches in width. Using a knife I cut around the bowl to get the 4 inch disc.
5. After you cut out your discs you will want to place 2 Tablespoons for the filling in middle of disc. Brush the edges with water. This will help seal the empanada.
6. Fold over the filling. . Using a fork go along the edge and crimp the empanada.
7. Place empanada on lightly greased baking sheet. I used my pizza stone. I did not grease my stone.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Enjoy your delicious empanada.
You can use shredded chicken, beef, ground beef, chicken pork, veggies only. All kinds of filling. Use your imagination. Next time I will go Mediterranean…olives, pepperoncini, Parmesan Regiano. YUM!!
This is a great weekday meal. Actually it would make a great Friday Family night meal too. Quick, painless and delicious!!