Rachel requested the Lavender Earl Grey cupcakes for our Sunday get together. I ended up going to Appleton to Penzey’s Spice to get the Lavender and to Fava Tea for the Earl Grey loose tea. I won’t know until tomorrow how these go over. We shall see…UPDATE: I just had one and it was yummy. Very subtle taste of the tea in the cupcake and also subtle lavender flavor in frosting. (I guess I will use the lavender again!!)
Lavender Earl Grey Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
10 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup Earl Grey loose tea
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
3. Add butter and loose tea in pan. Over low heat melt butter with tea. When butter has melted, turn off heat and let the tea steep for 5 minutes. Strain. You will use the melted butter. Discard the tea.
4. In a separate bowl whisk melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until smooth
5. Whisk in flour mixture until just combined.
6. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until tops spring back. 15-18 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes to the rack to cool completely.
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon Lavender
1/2 cup water
1. Bring 1/2 cup water and 1 Tablespoon of lavender to a boil. Steep 1-2 minutes. Strain. You will need the lavender water. Discard the lavender.
2. Put 2 cups confectioners sugar in bowl. Whisk in 2-3 Tablespoons hot water. Whisk until blended.
3. Add purple food coloring. (I used 1 drop of blue and 2 drops of red food color paste.)
4 Frost cupcakes!
That’s it. Simple and Delicious!!