I LOVE sausage, peppers and onions. This is a really quick meal you can make under an hour when you get home from work. I love it over rice, Kent loves it on a roll. You could have in a roll, serve over pasta, rice or by itself. Whatever works for YOU!
Sausage, Pepper and Onions
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage (I like hot)
2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/4 inch thick slices
2 onions, sliced (I like Vidalia onions)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregan0
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (no fresh, try 1 teaspoon dried – that is what I had to do tonight)
2 garlic cloves
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup beef broth (or chicken broth or water or marsala wine – whatever works for you!)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4-6 Italian rolls
1. Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.
2. Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the broth, tomatoes, and crushed red pepper, if using. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
4. Cut the sausages into 1/2-inch slices. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
5. Serve in bowls alone or over pasta or rice. Or, if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture. Top and serve sandwiches immediately