Martin and I were at Chipotle Mexican Grill one evening. He ordered chicken, rice and beans topped with guacamole in a bowl. That looked so good! I thought about it for a few days and decided I would attempt to make that dinner at home. I checked online and found a copycat recipe. We had this recipe a few Sundays ago. We are having this tomorrow for Taco Friday. YUM! Here is this Simple and Delicious recipe!
Chipotle’s Chicken Recipe
2 pounds of chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
1 – 2 ounce package of dried ancho chiles
1- 7 ounce can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (you will discard the chipotle peppers, only use the sauce. I know, that is wasteful. I am sure you can do something with them.)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped (I used 1 Tablespoon dried oregano)
6 cloves garlic (gotta love that garlic!!)
1 red onion, quartered
1/4 cup canola oil (vegetable oil or olive oil will work too)
3 Tablespoons lime juice (use fresh limes, okay?)
1. Add the dry chilies to a bowl of hot water and soak until soft. After softened cut open and remove seeds. (The first time I made this I soaked overnight. Next time I soaked for a couple of hours. The result was the same.)
2. Add chilies and the other marinade ingredients into food processor and puree until smooth.
3. Pierce the chicken multiple times so the chicken absorbs the marinade.
4. I placed the chicken in a 9×13 baking dish. Spread the marinade over the chicken. I marinade overnight.
5. You can grill inside or out. Whatever works for you. Serve in a bowl or burrito with Chipotle Black Beans, Cilantro Lime Rice and guacamole.
This is AWESOME and easy. You must try it!!