I have been baking Apple Bread for a very long time. I used to love late September, early October when we lived in Syracuse. In the fall we used to go to the Apple Festival, pick our own apples at the apple orchards, and have a huge selection of the most delicious apples. That seems like such a long time ago. Yesterday was a cool, approaching end of the Summer day. Why not bake apple bread? One of the best comfort foods, that is for sure. I always bake the 2 loaves. They never go to waste. (If you want you could cut the recipe in half and bake 1 loaf.) We ate half, Eric took half home with him, I brought some to work and will have some left over for the week!
3# bag of apples (10-12 apples)
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (We don’t use nuts)
1. Peel and grate apples. (I grate you could finely chop)
2. Stir together sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. (I hand mix. No need to use mixer with this recipe.)
3. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix together. The batter will be stiff.
4. Add apples and fold into batter.
5. Divide batter evenly between 2 greased 9×5 bread pans.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks
That is it! In our family we all love this simple and delicious treat. Hope you do too!!