I posted this recipe last fall. Another recipe from America’s Test Kitchen. I thought I would post again since we had Breakfast Friday last week. Everyone loved these. Kent thought they could have stayed in the oven an extra 15 minutes. Next time. They are just like your favorite diner home fries. Simple and Delicious and time consuming but worth it! (What else do you have to do when your hanging out with family!)
3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (Don’t miss this important part of the recipe!)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
Kosher salt and pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Bring 10 cups water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add potatoes and baking soda. (Another reminder; you need to add the baking soda, don’t forget it). Return to boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain potatoes. Return potatoes to Dutch oven and place over low heat. Cook, shaking pot occasionally, until any surface moisture has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cayenne; mix with rubber spatula until potatoes are coated with thick, starchy paste, about 30 seconds.
3. Remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle with 2 Tablespoons oil. Transfer potatoes to baking sheet and spread into even layer. Roast for 15 minutes. While potatoes roast, combine onions, remaining Tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in bowl.
4. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using metal spatula, scrape and turn potatoes. Clear about 8x5inch space in center of baking sheet and add onion mixture. Roast for 15 minutes.
5. Scrape and turn again, mixing onions and potatoes. Continue to roast until potatoes are well browned and onions are softened and beginning to brown, about 10-15 minutes. (To get these brown it is about 60-75 minutes in oven) If using chives, stir in. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.I had to post this. He enjoyed Breakfast Friday and he cracks me up!