I saw this recipe on a food blog, The Recipe Critic. I generally do not use my crock pot unless it is a weekend. Cooking a bunch of food in a pot on weekday from 8am to 6pm just does not work for me. The end result is usually way overcooked and not very edible. I tried this recipe today, which happens to be a Saturday. It was not overcooked and definitely very edible!!
Mogolian Beef (In case you want to know where the dish originates I linked it to Wikipedia)
1 1/2 pounds Flank Steak
1/4 cups cornstarch
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Water (I used Beef Broth)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup grated carrot
green onions (you don’t need to use these)
- Cut flank steak into thin strips. Put meat strips in a ziplock bag and add cornstarch. Shake the bag to coat the meat pieces. Set aside.
- Add all other ingredients into crock pot and whisk together.
- Add meat to above ingredients and stir until all mixed together.
- Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours. In my crock pot it was done in 3 1/2 hours on low.
- Serve over rice and if you like green onions add some of those too. (Next time I will be adding some chili peppers for a little heat. I enjoy some heat in my dishes!)
That was it. Could that be any simpler? Enjoy!!