Eric requested popcorn balls for Sunday dessert. I wasn’t too sure about this one. I can’t remember the last time I had a popcorn ball. Maybe never. I am not a fan of popcorn though. Well, these were so simple to make and quite delicious. Here is the recipe he sent me to try. It takes no time at all. Since my husband enjoys popcorn and in our youthful days he used to make it often, I had him make the popcorn. Believe it or not, I have never made popcorn in a pan. I left that to the popcorn expert in our home. 🙂
Whoa, this new program with WordPress makes the photos gigundo!!
9 cups popcorn
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pop that popcorn!! Whether you buy the microwave kind or kernels to pop in a stock pot.
- Coat a large heatproof bowl with butter, vegetable oil or cooking spray. Place popcorn in the bowl. (I used butter)
- Place sugar, corn syrup, water, vinegar and salt in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Place over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. That takes about 2-5 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture registers 260 degrees on a candy thermometer. That will take 7-10 minutes. (I used a thermometer. If you don’t 10 minutes will be enough time.) Stirring periodically and pay attention!
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until melted and smooth.
- Immediately drizzle sugar mixture over popcorn and stir continuously with a rubber spatula. Scrape the bottom of the bowl, the syrup settles at the bottom. Make sure you mix thoroughly.
- Using buttered or oiled hands, tightly press mixture into 3 inch rounds. (I buttered my hands) Place on parchment paper to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
Eat them up. They are delicious. Eric and Rachel LOVED them!!