My brother, Tony texted me last night for a couple of Italian cookie recipes. The Italian Lemon and Italian Chocolate. I have been making these cookies for years. It just so happened this weekend is my cookie making weekend. Since he is so crazy busy I thought I would make them and send some his way. I ended up baking those today along with the Spritz cookies. They are boxed and off to Syracuse (sent some to Scott too) for Christmas Eve. Here is the Italian Chocolate recipe I got from the Syracuse Newspaper many years ago!
Italian Chocolate Cookies
(this recipe makes 2 dozen cookies)
2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ounce whiskey (I used Kent’s Woodford Reserve Bourbon)
1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl (I used my stand up mixer)
- Add shortening, whiskey and milk. Mix on low to blend together and increase to medium until all combined.
- Add chopped walnuts and mix into batter.
- Form dough into small balls, press slightly. The dough balls weigh 1 ounce or about 1″ rounds.
- Bake for 15 minutes. I turn the baking pan around after 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dip immediately in a chocolate frosting.
I dip in a chocolate ganache. You could do frosting or a chocolate glaze. Whatever works for you.
Enjoy and have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!!