I originally posted about these cookies 4 years ago. Rachel and I made them for Christmas. We had fun baking cookies and her and Eric had fun decorating them. Fast forward Valentine’s Day 2016. Thought I would make them today along with some simple brownies. Can’t have Valentine’s day without chocolate, can we? However, a little spice is nice too.
(recipe courtesy Food Network)
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick butter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup confectioners sugar
1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- On low speed cream the sugar and butter until combined. Add the eggs and molasses and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and spices and mix on low speed until combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap, place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Take about 1/2 cup dough and roll out on a lightly floured board until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out with gingerbread cookies cutter. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate halfway through baking.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Make icing and decorate.
Simple and Delicious. Enjoy!
**My original post from 12/12/2011; Rachel and I had fun baking today. We ended up baking a Chocolate Pomegranate Cake with Cinnamon frosting and some peanut butter bars. I made the Gingerbread Cookie dough yesterday and thought I would get that out so her and Eric could decorate. This is how those 2 decorated this batch. (I think I will take over for the rest of the dough!) Just so you know they are 19. I thought this was hysterical! You know you just got to have fun and they were having fun!**