Eric popped over tonight. He suggested I bake some brownies for Pizza Friday tomorrow. We enjoy this recipe I found on Epicurious a couple of years ago. The brownies are of course extremely chocolatey and very moist. Here is the simple and delicious recipe;
10 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 to 1 teaspoon espresso powder (you don’t have to add the espresso powder. We like it.)
2 cold large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup nuts (I do not use nuts)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line the bottom and sides of an 8″ square baking pan with parchment paper (you could use foil too, I use parchment).
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of simmering water. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and all ingredients are combined. The mix should be hot enough you want to remove your finger when you test it.
- Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside until warm.
- Stir in vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer. Beat for 40 strokes.
- Spread evenly in the lined baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. When you put a toothpick in middle it will be moist. Don’t overcook. Do not leave in more than 25 minutes. Let cool on rack. Lift up the ends of the parchment and transfer to cutting board. Cut into squares.
These brownies can be prepared, baked and eaten in less than an hour! Enjoy!!