How many times have you bought rice pilaf in a box? Once you make this recipe you will not want to buy a box again!
(courtesy America’s Test Kitchen)
3 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 bay leaf
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cups sliced almonds, toasted (I toast in frying pan over medium high heat on top of stove. Just toss them around as they toast. Takes 3-5 minutes)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Cook onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt until just softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until edges begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook stirring constantly, until fragrant. About 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and fluff rice with fork. Stir in almonds. Season with salt. Serve.
So simple, delicious and takes no time at all. Enjoy!!