I frequent the Olive Cellar in Appleton. This is a specialty olive oil and balsamic vinegar store. My favorite oils are the Tuscan Herb and Blood Orange Olive Oil. My favorite balsamic vinegar are the Espresso, Dark Chocolate and Tangerine. I have had the Blood Orange Olive Oil cupcakes on my list of things to do for a long time. Today was the time to do so. I found this recipe on Food Network. It went over quite well in our home.
Blood Orange Olive Oil Cupcakes
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I used 2 cups cake flour and 1 Tablespoon meringue powder)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon orange zest
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used tangerine balsamic vinegar. You could add 1/4 teaspoon orange extract to 2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar)
2 Tablespoons whole milk
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used blood orange olive oil. As noted above I get my oils and vinegar at the Olive Cellar.)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Blend together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric or stand up mixer beat the sugar, eggs, and orange zest in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in vinegar and milk.
- Gradually add oil. Add flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Fill muffin tin almost to the top of the paper liners.
- Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached. About 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack an cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove muffins onto a platter and let cool.
- Sift powdered sugar over muffins.
I also made topped the cupcakes with orange glaze (see below) and chocolate ganache.
Variety is the spice of life, right?! As always, simple and delicious!!
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon, juice from an orange
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
Whisk together and spread on cupcakes.