All I can say is Simple and Delicious and under an hour!!
Butter Roasted Tomato Sauce
(compliments of Epicurious)
1 – 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
8 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 anchovy fillet packed in oil or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (I had the anchovy paste. Worked great. Anchovy flavor is an umami flavor. What is umami? Umami is a quality of meaty savoriness that brings depth to many dishes, is widely considered the fifth taste. So, don’t be afraid to use it. It really makes a difference.)
1/2 stick butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus more for serving
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
12 ounce spaghetti or linguine or buccatini
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine tomatoes (crushing them with your hands), garlic, anchovies, butter, and ½ tsp. red pepper flakes in a 13×9” baking dish; season with salt and black pepper.
3. Roast, tossing halfway through, until garlic is very soft and mixture is jammy, 35–40 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, mash to break up garlic and tomatoes.
4. While tomatoes are roasting, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta cooking liquid.
5. Return pasta to pot and add tomato sauce and pasta cooking liquid. Cook over medium-high heat, tossing until sauce coats pasta, about 3 minutes. (Oops, I did not see this step. Guess my lecture the other day to Martin about reading a recipe before you make it didn’t quite work for me. 😉 I will do step 5 next time. There will definitely be a next time!!)
6. Serve topped with Parmesan and more red pepper flakes. (I topped with Parmesan but did not need any more red pepper flakes)
FYI: Tomato sauce can be made 4 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Reheat before mixing with pasta.