Too lazy to make Fruit and Nut bars. Found this recipe at Penzey’s and thought I would give it a try. These are simple to make and very flavorful.
Raisin and Fruit Oatmeal Cookies
2 cups Old Fashioned Oatmeal (not instant or quick cooking)
1 1/4 cups mixed raisins and dried fruit (I used dried mixed berries and raisins), chopped
1 cup nuts (I used mixed unsalted nuts), chopped
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup water (you can use fruit juice. I used apple juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I used 1/2)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place oatmeal in the food processor or blender and pulse into fine crumbs.
- Add chopped raisins, dried fruit and nuts to oatmeal in processor. Pulse until nuts break up. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the sugars and butter until fluffy. (I used my stand up mixer).
- Add egg, water (or juice), vanilla, salt, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and flour – mix well.
- Fold in the oatmeal/fruit/nut mixture. Let sit for 15 minutes for the oatmeal to absorb the liquid. If the batter becomes too stiff add 1-2 Tablespoons of liquid (this did not happen to me).
- Drop the batter by the Tablespoon onto parchment lined cookie sheets (or greased per Penzey’s recipe. I haven’t greased a cookie sheet in years.) Flatten slightly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool to firm up (about 3-5 minutes) then transfer to rack to cool
I ended up freezing half the batch. They hold up very well in freezer. If I left them all out they would be eaten up….by ME! Simple and Delicious!!