The first time I posted this recipe was in 2013. Since it was Eric’s birthday I am keeping the original post. A nice memory to save. 🙂
July 2016; Thought I would bring it forward in my feed. This is another easy recipe. You can grab a rotisserie chicken on your way home tonight and make these simple and delicious burritos. (Costco has some delicious chicken!)
Eric’s birthday is today, March 10, 2013. He is 21 years old. I cannot believe time has flown by so fast. He is my youngest. For his birthday he requested California Burritos which he has always enjoyed! I found this recipe a long time ago. Hope you enjoy it too!
California Chicken Burritos
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained (in a rush, use canned refried beans. Omit adding the water though)
1/2 cup water
1 cup chunky salsa, drained and juices reserve
1 small chipotle chile, minced (from 1 can of chipotles adobo)
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
1 teaspoon cumin (I LOVE cumin. You don’t have to if you don’t like it. They are still delish)
3 garlic cloves, minced
kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
2 cups cooked white rice
2 cups shredded rotisserie-cooked chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 – (10 inch) flour tortillas
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add black beans (as noted in ingredients; you can use a can of refried beans. Don’t add the water.), water, reserved salsa juices, chile, and adobo sauce and cook until liquid has evaporated and beans are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Using potato masher or fork, mash beans lightly. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place rice in medium microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, poke holes in plastic, and microwave on high power until hot, about 90 seconds. Stir in salsa, chicken, and 2 cups cheddar.
4. Spread black bean mixture down center of each tortilla, leaving 2-inch border at ends. Mound rice mixture (about 1/2 cup) on beans and fold tortillas to form burritos.
5. Transfer to baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes.
Enjoy! This is very simple and incredibly delicious!