I was out and about Saturday and decided to stop at a roadside stand. I bought some tomatoes, garlic, onions and basil. I thought it would be nice to make a fresh tomato sauce for the week. Here is my recipe:
Fresh Tomato Sauce
3 pounds fresh tomatoes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves fresh garlic (I love the summer, the local garlic is awesome!)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano (or whatever Italian hard cheese you love)
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (remember the parmesan cheese will add salt flavor – TASTE it)
1. I prepare the fresh tomatoes by removing the skin and partially deseeding. I remove the skin by coring the tomatoes and placing in boiling water for 60 seconds. Take them out of the pot and place in ice water to prevent the tomatoes from cooking. Remove the skin. Cut in half and take out seeds, if you want. I remove the seeds from half of the tomatoes. If you don’t want to de-seed that is fine too.
2. I chop the tomatoes in 3/4 inch chunks. I then place about 3-4 cups of the diced tomatoes in my food processor and pulse 4-5 times. The tomatoes have are the consistency of a tomato sauce. (I like having some chunks of tomatoes in my sauce. You can put all in the food process or none at all. It is your sauce, do what you want.)
3. 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the red/white onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and mix with the red onions about 30 seconds.
4. Add tomatoes and tomato paste to pan. Mix together.
5. Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes than add the cheese. Mix together and let simmer uncovered over medium to low heat for 1 hour. Add the basil and parsley and let cook for another 30 minutes. I like to let it simmer on low heat. **You may need to add 1/2-1 cup water. Depends on the consistency you desire.** (Also, be sure to watch it so the sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pan. When I get distracted that has happened to me.)
That is it! You will have some delicious sauce for dinner. You can also freeze what you don’t use. Sauce is my favorite meal. Hope you enjoy. I have a couple of tomato sauce recipes on the blog. Fresh or made with cans of tomatoes. Whatever works for you!