Martin has been bugging me to make Chocolate Croissants. If you checked into making croissants you would know it is a 3 day ordeal to make these baked goods. I am sure I will do these someday but not quite yet. Maybe in the dead of winter. These cookies were super simple and very delicious. I don’t think he shared these cookies with anyone! No one!!
Chocolate Croissant Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 (1.55 ounce) Hershey’s milk chocolate bars
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons sugar
1. Whisk flour and salt together in bowl.
2. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add vanilla and beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 2 additions, until just combined, scraping down bowl as needed.
4. Form dough into 6-inch disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (2 hours worked for me)
5.Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Break 5 chocolate bars crosswise along their 3 seams to yield 4 rectangles. (You should have 20 chocolate pieces in total.)
7.Roll dough into 20 by 8-inch rectangle on lightly floured counter. Cut dough into twenty 4 by 2-inch rectangles. Working with 1 dough rectangle at a time, place 1 chocolate piece crosswise across dough so chocolate overhangs edges. Fold dough around chocolate. Repeat with remaining 19 pieces of dough and chocolate and place cookies seam side down, 1 1/2 inches apart, on prepared sheets (10 per sheet). Brush tops with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
9. Break remaining 1 chocolate bar into pieces and microwave in bowl at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted, about 1 minute. Using spoon, drizzle chocolate over tops of cookies. Let set for at least 30 minutes before serving.