In celebration of my Dad’s birthday and parent’s anniversary I decided for a sweet treat to make Molasses Cookies. Both my parent’s enjoyed these cookies over the years. Mom would always buy the Archway brand Iced Molasses cookies. Here is a version I made for my family today. I found this recipe on America’s Test Kitchen website.
12 Tablespoons butter, softened but still cool
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (I only had light brown)
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup molasses, light or dark
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup sugar for dipping in a 9″ cake pan.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, spices and salt in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
3. In stand up mixer beat butter with sugars at medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium low and add yolk and vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds. Reduce speed to medium low and add molasses, beat until fully incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping bottom and sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to lowest setting and add dry ingredients until incorporated. Be sure to scrape sides and bottom of bowl so all is blended together.
4. Using tablespoon measure, scoop heaping tablespoon of dough and roll palms into a
1 1/2 inch ball; drop ball into cake pan with sugar. Toss balls in sugar to coat and set on prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake at 375 for 11 minutes rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Do not overbake.
5. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, then place on wire rack; cool to room temperature and serve. If you want you can put glaze on them.
Glaze; 1 cup confectioners sugar, 2 Tablespoons milk. Whisk together. Drizzle on cookies.