Rachel and I had our Christmas Cookie Baking Day yesterday. We baked our usual suspects the Italian Lemon cookies, Almond Paste cookies and our new one this year…Triple Chocolate Hazelnut cookies. As always, we listened to our Christmas music (Funny, Kent and Eric do not enjoy as much as we do.), chatted about all kinds of stuff and as always Rachel loves to sneak cookie dough. I used to give her the Caruso eye on that but 8 years of it, I decided this year to just let it go. 😉
Triple Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
(Compliments, Food Network Magazine – December issue)
1 cup blanched hazelnuts, chopped
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (we used 10 ounce bag of Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips)
6 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spread hazelnuts on baking sheet and bake on the upper rack until golden, about 8-10 minutes. After they cool – 5 minutes, try to get as much of the skins off as possible. ( Just know it is kind of difficult to get the skins off hazelnuts. Do the best you can. No big deal leaving the skins on.)
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl, set aside.
- Combine the chopped chocolate (or chips) and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring, until melted. Add the vanilla and whisk until smooth, set aside. (Rachel loves this job. She can taste every 30 seconds!)
- Beat the eggs in stand up mixer (or large bowl with electric mixer) on medium speed until foamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Medium speed, add sugar and beat until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Medium speed, gradually add the melted chocolate mixture and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, beat until combined, about 1 minute. Fold in chips and hazelnuts.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are slightly puffed and crackly, 12- 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
These are really delicious especially after they cool. Enjoy!