Lasagna has been a family favorite for years. I have been making this lasagna recipe for 40 years. Yup, since I was 18 years old. I think I got this one covered. Guess it is time to share this recipe so my kids can make their own at their home. For Eric’s birthday this year we had lasagna, meatballs with sauce (these meatballs were delicious. Been making those a few years, too), rosemary focaccia bread and Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream Sandwiches.
You start with:
1 – 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 – 15oz can diced tomatoes (or tomato sauce. Depends on my mood.)
1# sausage, removed from casing
1 small-medium red onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (if you don’t have fresh, use 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt (cheese is salty so taste, taste, taste!)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Remove sausage from casing and add to frying pan. Cook until no longer pink. Remove from pan and put on paper towel lined plate for grease to drain. Set aside.
2. Clean out fry pan with paper towels. Add olive oil to sauce pan on medium heat.
3. Add diced onions. Cook onion on low to medium heat until opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Add cloves of garlic and let cook 30 seconds.
4. Add cans of tomatoes and let cook about 5 minutes until warm.
5. Add rest of ingredients, including sausage and let simmer 30-60 minutes. If you want you can simmer longer but it is not necessary. Sauce does not have to take a long time. Taste it, if you like it, then it is done. I like it to cook down a bit so I usually go 45-60 minutes for a tomato sauce.
Next, prepare lasagna;
Lasagna Noodles (16 noodles work for me)
1 – 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Lightly spray 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to directions. I use 16 noodles.
- Combine ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella, eggs, mix well.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of baking dish, top with 4 lasagna noodles, spread ricotta cheese mixture, 1 cup sauce, 1/4 cup parmesan. Repeat layering. Last layer of noodles, top with sauce and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Cover, bake 45-50 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Uncover, and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown mozzarella. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut and serve.
Makes awesome leftovers!