One of the things my mother always said to me before I left Syracuse was “take care of YOURSELF!” Now that she is gone I won’t have her to remind me. I decided to take her advice. I joined Weight Watchers (again) and am back to walking and yoga daily. I will keep that promise to myself and to her. I have to be around the next 30 years to give my kids random advice too! Here is a dish I made this evening. Simple, delicious, fast AND healthy.
2 pieces bacon
1 teaspoon bacon grease
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch slices
1 yellow squash, cut in 1/4 inch slices
5 asparagus stalks, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (I use coarse grind, you may want to use 1/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon Penzey’s Turkish Seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder OR whatever seasoning you desire)
- Fry bacon until crisp in non-stick skillet (remove bacon from skillet and place on paper towel. Drain grease in small bowl. Wipe out frying pan.)
- Add 1 teaspoon bacon grease and 1 teaspoon olive oil in skillet. (You can use just bacon grease or olive oil.)
- Add onions and peppers, saute until onions opaque.
- Add rest of veggies, saute until done. 5-8 minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon, mix together and serve.
You can use any combination of vegetables you would like. Would love to hear your veggie combinations! This was really delicious. Could that be any simpler?