Martin is home for a visit. He moved to NYC and can have gyros everyday, all day long. I thought I would make our family’s gyro recipe for Sunday dinner before he heads back. I always double this recipe and there are rarely leftovers. As always, a very simple and delicious meal.
Chicken Doner Kebab!
1 # chicken thighs (lamb, pork, beef would work too. It is up to you!)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon paprika
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Doner Kebab/Gyro
1. In a large bowl or food safe bag, add the above ingredients with 1 pound chicken thighs. (I cut into strips) Marinate at least 4 hours or overnight if possible. (Don’t forget to make the tzatziki.)
2. After you allow to marinate, heat frying pan at high heat. I don’t add oil,the oil from the marinate is enough. Drop the chicken pieces into the pan and leave untouched for 1 minute. (Don’t use a non stick skillet.)
3. Turn the chicken pieces and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes, until browned. (I have grilled the chicken on a skewer also.) The chicken tastes great grilled and fried. So pick your way and go from there!
4. Chicken is ready for the gyro!
5. When you wrap your doner kebab you will use pita bread or flour tortilla, meat, tzatziki, diced tomato, shredded cabbage and a few french fries. (Believe it or not the french fries are a nice addition.) That will be your Bulgarian Doner Kebab. It is truly simple and delicious!