I found this recipe a long time ago in Bon Appetit magazine. I have been making it for about 10 years. Everyone in our family loves this very simple stir fry. I make it for breakfast once or twice a month. We always enjoy this simple and delicious meal.
Bacon and Egg Rice Stir Fry
1 cup long grain white rice (I use jasmine, basmati, arborio or long grain white, depends on my mood)
2 cups water
8 bacon slices, cut into 1/2 inch strips
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use peanut oil)
1/2 cup green onion
1 teaspoon sesame oil (I use 1 Tablespoon – no, it is not too much)
- Bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Set aside. (I make rice almost every Sunday. That way when I make a rice dish during the week that part is done.)
- Cook bacon in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until golden and crisp. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Pour into a sieve over a heatproof bowl and reserve bacon and fat separately.
- Whisk together eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Return 3 Tablespoons of bacon fat to skillet and sauté onion over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and cook, stirring until eggs are just set, about 1 minute. Make a well in center of egg mixture, then pour in peanut (or vegetable) oil and 2 Tablespoons reserved bacon fat.
- Add rice, remaining salt and pepper and cook stirring about 2 minutes.
- Add bacon, green onions, sesame oil and cook mixture,stirring until mixed through.
- Serve starving family and/or friends!