I saw this recipe in “allrecipes Magazine”. Yes, they not only have their website but they have a nice magazine. Kent and I enjoy breakfast pizza but have never tried left over pizza in a casserole. Most every Friday we have pizza. This Friday we did a cheese pizza and a 3 meat pizza. The meat pizza this week had sausage, bacon and Canadian bacon. Ready for a nice “Simple and Delicious” casserole? Here it is:
Left Over Pizza Breakfast Casserole
(compliments of allrecipes.com)
3 slices leftover sausage pizza, cut into 3/4 inch squares (or 3 cups) Whatever pizza you have left over is perfect!
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 clove garlic, minced (optional) I say add it in!
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I use kosher salt. If you use table salt use 1/4 teaspoon. OR; don’t add at all. This was not part of recipe.)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste (I lightly sprinkled on top)
Pepperoni slices or any other meat if you desire. I did not add any more, we had plenty this week! However, Canadian Bacon or some fried bacon would be yummy.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. (I used my 8 inch square pyrex dish.)
- Arrange pizza squares in prepared baking dish and top with mozzarella.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, onion, melted butter, garlic and oregano in a large bowl; pour over pizza. Sprinkle with Parmesan and crushed red pepper then cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and top with pepperoni or other meat if using.
- Continue baking, uncovered, until eggs are set and Parmesan is melted, about 20 minutes.
With everyone worrying about calories in my world I am going to start posting calories if noted in recipe. Per 1 cup serving: 446 calories. Have a piece or 1/2 a piece, it is worth it!