It has been awhile since I made this chili. Thought I would make some for our Friday instead of pizza this week. Going to make some grilled cheese sandwiches too! Looking forward to our Friday evening and the weekend!!
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 pounds pork butt or shoulder, cut into 1/2 cubes (I have also used County Style Spare Ribs)
1 medium onion (red or white, whatever you got!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2-10 ounce cans Ro-tel tomatoes and chilies or 2 -15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
**14 ounces roasted peppers (see below) OR 2 – 7 ounce cans of green chilies (I roast the peppers. It is easy and even more flavorful!)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup chicken broth (you could add another cup of broth. I thought 1 cup was enough.)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add pork and saute until browned. (Do it in batches. You want to brown the meat not steam it. If you overcrowd your pan, the meat steams.)
- Stir in onion and garlic. Add flour and stir until all is blended together.
- Add tomatoes, green chilies, jalapeno, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir until blended.
- Add chicken broth. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours or until pork is tender.
**NOTE: Roasting the peppers – I had 3 Poblano, 2 Anaheim and 1 Jalapeno. Roast all the peppers, whole in the oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes. Took out of oven, placed in paper bag for 5 minutes. Removed from bag, peeled skin, removed seeds, diced into small pieces.
This is Simple and Delicious. ENJOY!