I have been baking these crackers for many years. We all enjoy them but they are one of Martin’s family favorite recipes. I am pushing this to the front of my blog. I baked a double batch this morning. One for us to enjoy this evening with some cheddar and balsamic parmesan cheese and the other to mail out a small package to Martin in NYC. Takes under 30 minutes to make homemade crackers. Give it a try!!
(New York Times recipe)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 Tablespoons cold butter
1/4 cup cream or half&half
Kosher salt (you could also top with fresh ground pepper, poppy seeds, minced garlic – whatever you want)
1. In a food processor pulse together flour, salt, cheese and butter.
2. Add cream and mix until dough forms into a ball. If you need more liquid, add more cream a teaspoon at a time. You will not need much more.
3. Place dough on lightly floured surface. (I use parchment paper lightly floured)
4. Roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick. I use a pizza cutter to cut into 2×2 or smaller squares. You could easily use a sharp knife.
5. Poke dough with tines of fork. Sprinkle with kosher salt or whatever you desire.
6. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I turn the baking sheet around after 5 minutes. This way the crackers brown evenly.
Believe me you will enjoy these crackers with cheese or all by themselves!