I have been making this recipe for years. Not sure where I got the recipe. All I know is your house will smell fabulous while those onions are caramelizing. Way better than any restaurant.
French Onion Soup
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 pounds yellow onions, thinly sliced (I like sweet onions like Vidalia. I usually use 4-5 onions.)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon flour
1 – 32 ounce box/can beef broth
6 slices French bread
2-3 cloves garlic, split
2 -3 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (you can use mozzarella too. Any cheese that melts. Gruyere is delicious though.)
- Melt butter in large sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add next four ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 30-45 minutes or until onion is browned.
- Stir in flour and 2 Tablespoons broth. Cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place break on baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Rub each side of toasted bread with garlic.
- Ladle soup into six oven proof bowls or crocks. Place 1 slice of bread in each, sprinkle with cheese to cover. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese melts
That’s it. Simple and very delicious! Enjoy!!